Desta Biramo Zaza was born in a Christian family in Dige Mashido, Kindo Koysha district, Wolayita Zone, former Sidama Region, in 1972. Desta began singing in 1981 with the choir of Doge Meshido Kale Heywot Church. In 1990, he was forced to give military service to the government of Ethiopia. After the fall of the regime in 1991, he returned home and began to compose and sing own songs, thanking God who protected him in the war field.
Having served as a solo singer at the spiritual conference organized by the Wolaytta Gunuro Kale Heywot Church in 1991, he soon became a well-known solo singer, worshipping in both the Wolaytta and the Amharic language. Thanks to his songs, many cadres who persecuted him during the Ethiopian Revolution (including his older brother) became Christians and even co-workers of Desta.
(1) ስየ ምሽራቿ (Siyye Mishiraachchaa, “Hear the Word of the Good News”). Solo cassette in Wolaytta language, released by Gold Life Studio, Addis Ababa, 1994 (1987 AM).
(2) ከወይ በ ደስዮ ኡያ ሀገደን ኦቴስ (Kawoy ba dasyo uyaa hagdan otees, “Thus shall it be done for the man whom the king wishes to honor”). Solo cassette in Wolaytta language, released by Lito Publishers, Addis Ababa, 1996.
(3) ክብሩ ሰማያትን ሸፍኗል (Kibru samayatin shafinual, “His glory covers heavens”). Solo cassette in Amharic language, released by Gold Leaf Studio, Addis Ababa, 1999.
(4) ዝም ማለት አልችልም (Zim malet alchilim, “I cannot be silenced”). Solo cassette in Amharic language, released by Wobishet P.P. , Addis Ababa, 2001.
(5) ኔዮ ኦጌ ዴስ – ጡመይ ኔነ ኦይቄነ (Neyo oge des – Tumay nena oyiqena, “You have a way”). Solo cassette in Wolaytta language, released by Saron Mezmur Bet, Wolaytta Soddo, 2003.
(6) ሀይ ጦሶ ኔ ኩሼ ዴንዶ (Hi toso ne kushe dendo, “O Lord, may your arms raise”). Solo cassette in Wolaytta language, released by Saron Mezmur Bet, Wolaytta Soddo, 2005.
(7) ታ ሄንታንቻው ሳሌቴናጎ (Ta hentanchaw saletenago, “My unfailing Shepherd”). Solo cassette in Wolaytta language, released by Asefa Printing and Media, Wolaytta Soddo, Ethiopia, 2008.
(8) አሜን (Amen, “Let it be”) Solo cassette in Amharic language, released by Mr. Desta Biramo, Wolaytta Sodo, 2011.
Songs in hymn books
Any song in a Wolaytta hymnbook?
» Follow Desta Biramo on Facebook
» Visit Desta Biramo’s YouTube channel