The vignettes contain overviews of groups and solo singers whose full profile we would like to post on Ethiopian Gospel Music Net.
At this stage, some video clips and internet links are available for the respective gospel musicians. However, a concise introduction to the life and ministry of these singers is still missing. Please help if you can.
» For arrangements, please contact us
through the form at the bottom
of this page.
The Ethiopian gospel groups are arranged according to the administrative regions in which they are located:
- Addis Ababa (chartered city)
- Amhara Region
- Benishangul-Gumuz Region
- Central Ethiopia Region
- Gambela Region
- Oromia Region: Western part · Eastern part
- Sidama Region
- South Ethiopia Region
- South West Ethiopia People’s Region
- Tigray Region
- Other Regions in Ethiopia
For practical reasons, the gospel singers are assigned to different categories such as their faith community and the primary language they use in their gospel songs.
(1) Singers with multiple adherences
- Secular / spiritual music (zäfän / mäzmur)
- Crossing religious / confessional borders
- Contact-induced changes in music
(2) Soloists from faith communities not affiliated with the Evangelical Churches Fellowship of Ethiopia (ECFE):
- Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church
- Catholic Church in Ethiopia
- Anglican Church
- Seventh-Day Adventist Church
- Self-contained congregations and ministries
- Oneness Pentecostalism
- Jehovah’s Witnesses
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints [‘Mormons’]
(3) Female Evangelical singers and songwriters using
- Nilo-Saharan languages
(4) Male Evangelical singers and songwriters using
Guide to music channels
- Orthodox Tewahedo gospel music
- Catholic gospel music
- Protestant gospel music
(arranged according to language groups):
· Cushitic: Oromo · Hadiyya & Kambaata · Sidaama, etc.
· Nilo-Saharan: Anywaa and Nuer
· Omotic: Wolaytta, etc.
· Semitic: Amharic · Tigrinya, etc.
(2) Additional channels
Ethiopian Gospel Music Net does not maintain an archive with physical copies of music albums. To contact groups or soloists, please see the networking section of each vignette.