Matiwos Ortabo Gadebo [Hadiyyisa: Maatiwoos Ortaabo] was born in Qoto, Shone district, Kambaata and Hadiyya county, former South Showa Region in 1970. At the age of 10 years, he converted to Christianity after an evangelist had prayed for him and healed him from chronic sickness. This extraordinary experience led him to devote his life for praying, reading the Bible, and composing songs in local languages.
In 1984, Matiwos began to sing his spiritual songs in Onama Mekane Yesus Congregation. At that time, he sang without musical accompaniment, later Mr. Tesfaye Wotango accompanied him on accordion and sometimes on guitar. Matiwos sang in various congregations and also at conferences, e.g. the Abonsa Parish conference in 1986 and the Lemu Parish conference in 1990. Matiwos became well-known for singing both in Kambaata and Hadiyya language.
(1) Yesusu ga’ayoke [የሱሱ ገአዮኬ, Jesus is calling you]. Cassette in Kambaata language, released by South Central Synod, Hosanna, 1990.
(2) Muramoobee’i daajji [ሙረሞቤ ዳጅ, Unseizing river]. Cassette in Hadiyya language, released by South Central Synod, Hosanna, 1990.
(3) Geletu E’llohe [ገለቱ ኢሎሄ, You are worthy of thanks]. Cassette in Kambaata language, released by EECMY South Central Synod, Hosanna, 1991.
(4) Yesuus lobane [ኢየሱሱ ሎበኔ, Jesus is great]. Cassette in Hadiyya language, released by South Central Synod, Hosanna, 1991.
(5) Yesuus tiiraakko [ኢየሱስ ቲራኮ, Jesus untied me]. Cassette in Hadiyya language, released by South Central Synod, Hosanna, 1995.
Songs in hymn books
No. 227, 447, 470, 579, 584, 591.
[The lyrics of the last 3 songs were taken from
Galaxxi Mazmuulluwwa, ca. 1993.]
» Visit Matiwos Ortabo’s Facebook page
Audio (commercial and freemium)
» Check Matiwos Ortabo’s tracks on
- YouTube Music
Collection of worship songs with interview (time stamp: 5:55),´ compiled in 2015:
» Watch individual songs and worship service
published in 2020: