Matiwos Ortabo Gadebo [Hadiyyisa: Maatiwoos Ortaabo] was born in Qoto, Shone district, Kambaata and Hadiyya county, former South Showa Region in 1970. At the age of 10 years, he converted to Christianity after an evangelist had prayed for him and healed him from chronic sickness. This extraordinary experience led him to devote his life for praying, reading the Bible, and composing songs in local languages.
In 1984, Matiwos began to sing his spiritual songs in Onama Mekane Yesus Congregation. At that time, he sang without musical accompaniment, later Mr. Tesfaye Wotango accompanied him on accordion and sometimes on guitar. Matiwos sang in various congregations and also at conferences, e.g. the Abonsa Parish conference in 1986 and the Lemu Parish conference in 1990. Matiwos became well-known for singing both in Kambaata and Hadiyya language.
(1) የሱሱ ገአዮኬ (Yesusu ga’ayoke, “Jesus is calling you”). Solo cassette in Kambaata language, released by South Central Synod, Hosanna, 1990.
(2) ሙረሞቤ ዳጅ (Muramoobee’i daajji, “Unseizing river”). Solo cassette in Hadiyya language, released by South Central Synod, Hosanna, 1990.
(3) ገለቱ ኢሎሄ (Geletu E’llohe, “You are worthy of thanks”). Solo cassette in Kambaata language, released by EECMY South Central Synod, Hosanna, 1991.
(4) ኢየሱሱ ሎበኔ (Yesuus lobane, “Jesus is great”). Solo cassette in Hadiyya language, released by South Central Synod, Hosanna, 1991.
(5) ኢየሱስ ቲራኮ (Yesuus tiiraakko, “Jesus untied me”) Solo cassette in Hadiyya language, released by South Central Synod, Hosanna, 1995.
Songs in hymn books
No. 227, 447, 470, 579, 584, 591.
[The lyrics of the last 3 songs were taken from
Galaxxi Mazmuulluwwa, ca. 1993.]
» Visit Matiwos Ortabo’s Facebook page
» Watch selected songs and worship service