Keba Fido Dufera [Qubee: Kabaa Fidoo] was born to Christian parents in Masinawo [Qubee: Masinoo], Gulliso District in the West Wellega Zone of Oromia Region, in 1975. Keba has been stuttering since his childhood. He applied to Jimma Teachers Training College after high school but was not accepted because of his stutter.
One day in 1992, when he was helping his father in the farming field, it started to rain, and Keba got wet. After the rain, he lay down to let the sun dry and warm him. Unexpectedly, he fell asleep. While he slept, he twice saw Christ’s words from 2Corinthians 12, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” The third time, he heard himself singing these words in a dream. After he woke up, he was excited and full of joy.
After that experience and the encouragement by his father, Keba was highly motivated to pray and sing. During Sunday services, he used to compose songs from the sermons he listened to. Keba started singing with confidence and without any stuttering. In 1994, Keba joined the choir of his local EECMY congregation and the Aira Parish Worship Team. He also began serving as a solo singer at church services in his area and beyond. The vision he experienced was the turning point to serve as a gospel singer.
In 2004, Keba was invited to sing at the East African Evangelical Choirs’ Annual Conference in Nairobi, Kenya. In 2009 he served the Oromo speaking diaspora community in Sudan, Khartoum. Having received invitations from Afaan Oromo speaking congregations in Germany, Norway and Sweden, he sang in Europe in 2014.
Keba earned an Advanced Diploma in Library Science next to BA and MA degrees in Leadership and Management. He worked as a librarian at Onesimos Nesib Seminary in Aira from 2000 until 2008. Since 2008, he has been serving as a librarian at Mekane Yesus Seminary in Addis Ababa.
Keba still stutters some times when he talks. But when he sings, he can articulate without difficulty. Due to his life testimony, many listeners were touched and became Christians. While Keba sings in church services and spiritual conferences, people are delivered from evil spirits and filled with the Holy Spirit.
(1) Ayyaannikee Duwwaan Naga’a (‘Your Grace is Sufficient‘). Cassette released by EECMY Western Synod, Boji, 1995.
(2) Waggaa Inn Haaraan (‘The New Year’). Cassette released by EECMY Western Synod, Boji,1997.
(3) Wangeelli Keenya (‘Our Gospel is the Living Word‘). Cassette released by OnesimosNesib Seminary, TEE Department, Aira, 2000.
(4) Aduun Kee Deesite Hinlixxu (‘Your Sun Does not Set’). Cassette recorded by Solnet Studio, Bilbila, 2002 [1995 AM].
(5) Uleen Nu Harka Jiru Dhimma Baasa (‘The Stick on Our Hand is Powerfull /Our Gospel Breaks Yoke‘). Cassette, CD, VCD, and DVD released by EECMY Gimbi Congregation, 2005.
(6) Birmadummaa [Gal. 5:1] (‘Freedom [Gal. 5:1]’). CD released by Keba Fido [privately ]. Addis Ababa, 2021.
» Follow Keba Fido on Facebook
» Listen to selected albums and songs